Pivot announced that it’s joining in the fat bike fray and signed Aaron Chase, freeride legend, to launch it, both figuratively and literally.
Let’s get stoked on the film first and then get into the nitty-gritty:
Can you do that on a bike? We can’t, but that doesn’t stop us from lusting after the carbon fiber goodness coming out of Tempe.
Pivot claims this is the first fat bike that can handle 26 X 3.8, 26 X 4.8, 27.5+ and 29+ wheels and tires without compromises in geometry. Add to that the ability to run rigid or suspension for the front end, 1x, 2x, or even single speed drivetrains, and internal dropper posts. You have a winner!
The Pivot LES Fat features a full carbon frame and rigid fork using Pivot’s proprietary Hollow Core internal molding technology. They must have started with what they call “the largest downtube in history.” It is truly massive and will add huge stiffness to the lower half of the bike.
In order to make the LES Fat compatible with the 4 different wheel sizes, Pivot created the new (and patented, China!) Swinger II dropout system. As you pull the Swinger II dropouts back, the bottom bracket gets progressively lower, compensating for the larger diameter of different wheel sizes. The Swingers are held together with three bolts on the non-drive side and two on the drive side and adjusted with small screws. Everything is held together with a 197x12mm thru-axle.
Pivot adds further adjustability to the front end of the bike, by shipping each frameset and complete bike with two separate lower head set cups – zero-stack and 18mm. They also utilize the 150x15mm thru axle on the front end. Between the headset and the axle standard, you can swap out the rigid fork for a RockShox Bluto or change the wheel size without having to buy a bunch of new parts.
The LES Fat will be available frame only for $2699 or as a complete bike starting at $4699 for a SRAM X01 build.
Pivot LES Fat Full Specifications:
- Fits all fat/plus wheel sizes (26 X 3.8, 26 X 4.8, 27.5+ and 29+) via Swinger II dropout system, without geometry compromises
- Full carbon frame featuring proprietary hollow core internal molding technology
- Optimized layup structure with svelte top tube and stay shaping for long ride and epic adventure comfort while featuring the largest downtube in the category
- Full length internal cable routing via Pivot’s exclusive Cable Port System
- Optimized narrow Q-factor design
- Complete bikes include co-designed lower Q factor E-Thirteen fat bike-specific crankset
- 132mm wide press fit bottom bracket for light weight, durability and ease of maintenance
- 2x and 1x and singlespeed compatible
- 197mm rear spacing and optimized design clears 5″ tires with massive clearance for unpacked snow, mud and sand
- Pivot designed carbon fork with 150mm spacing
- RockShox Bluto compatible
- Ships with both 18mm and Zero Stack headset cups for correct geometry at any wheel size
- Shimano Sideswing front derailleur compatible via a low profile e-type mount
- Geared and singlespeed compatible
- Rear rack mounts
- Internal dropper post compatible
- 3 bottle cage mounts
- Highly durable rubberized leather chainstay protection
- Sizes S, M, L for riders between 5’6″ and 6’4″
- Available as a complete bike or as a frame/fork/headset