Looking for a budget-friendly tent that is easy to set up from the outside (so you don’t get rain in the tent) and is relatively lightweight? Then the Slumberjack Nightfall series of tents might be for you. We took the Slumberjack Nightfall 2 tent out into the Colorado mountains to put it through the Engearment test. The Nightfall 2and Nightfall 3tents are very affordable ($139 and $169) and are a good bargain.
Slumberjack makes the outer fly out of 66D polyester with a 1200mm waterproof rating. The floor is 68D polyester with 1500mm waterproofing. You can detach inner tent and use just the fly for a fast pitch option to save weight (3lbs 9oz), but we opted to use the tent with the body and fly (5lbs 10oz). The tent is fairly lightweight at under 6lbs and packs down to 7”x 21”. This makes is a backpackable tent at a great price point.
Nightfall 2 Setup
The tent is designed to be set up from the outside (external pitch). This is a great feature that makes setting up easy for first-time users as well as keeps rain out of the tent. The poles are 7001 aluminum, not fiberglass, and break down into segments for packability. Set up is easy: take one of the two long poles and stick it in the eyelet at the back of the tent. Then take the other end and stick in the opposite corner eyelet. Next, clip the connectors from the tent body to the poles. The last step, insert the short pole into the eyelets above the entryway and attach the retaining clips. Stake the tent out with the provided aluminum Y stakes and you’re good to go.
SJK Nightfall Features
Some of the features that we most liked were the size of the tent (86” long x 52” wide) and ceiling height (just under 40”) This allowed our 6’1” tester and two dogs to easily fit in the tent. The fact that the tent is under 6lbs, under $150 and sets up from the outside are winning attributes. One feature that was really cool, but we did not use much, is the ability to make an awning or front porch using two trekking poles. This could come in handy if you are waiting out a storm or just want some shade. All in all, the Slumberjack Nightfall tent is a good tent for the money.
Slumberjack Nightfall 2 Specs
- Capacity: 2
- Seasons: 3
- Number of Poles: 3
- Number of Doors: 1
- Number of Vestibules: 1
- Packed Weight: 5 lbs 10 oz
- Minimum Weight: 5 lbs 2 oz
- Fast-Pitch Weight: 3 lbs 9 oz
- Floor Area: 31.4 ft2
- Vestibule Area: 9.3 ft2
- Peak Height: 39.5 in
- Packed Size: 6.5 x 21 in
- Body Fabric: 40D Polyester No-See-Um Mesh
- Floor Fabric: 68D polyester / 1500 mm
- Fly Fabric: 66D polyester / 1200 mm
- Pole Type: 7001 Series Aluminum
- External pitch design keeps inner tent dry during set up
- Fast-Pitch option provides super light and very compact shelter
- Near vertical side walls provide huge interior living space
- Footprint not required for Fast-Pitch option
- Lightweight 7001 series aluminum pole set
- “Front porch” vestibule converts into shade awning with trekking poles
- Includes 12 “Y” shaped lightweight aluminum stakes
- Reflective guylines included
- Full coverage rain fly ensures a dry & comfortable experience
- 5 interior loops in mesh canopy allow for homegrown gear loft