I was looking for a weather resistant, durable, reflective, stylish bike commuter back pack to carry the tools I need to for a day at the office. The bag needed to have a dedicated laptop sleeve, hopefully an iPad sleeve, at least one water bottle sleeve, organizing pockets for pens, business cards, pens, cables and a jacket and pants. A pretty tall order and one that had yet to be met. Until I found The North Face Kaban Charged Laptop Backpack. This thing is a game changer. I will elaborate on why.
(UPDATE – The newest version of the Kaban Charged is now the North Face Fuse Box Charged backpack.)
- Very well made and constructed material (900 Denier Polyester with PVC coating)
- Perfect sleeve for a laptop — providing major cushioning as well as securely holding the device
- Dedicated tablet sleeve, in addition to the laptop sleeve
- Amazing organizing pockets that are actually useful
- Felt lined sunglasses pocket
- Carries weight very well, especially when biking.
- Reflective material impregnated in the pack on all sides
- Straps are cushioned as well as the back panel
- Usually stands up on its own, pretty cool
Basically, it’s the best dang bag I have tested for these needs. It does come with a removable charging device — intended to be used to charge cell phones and possibly tablets. Personally, I carry a much more effective device with me at all times that has much more current and can charge 2 iPads at once. I cannot fault North Face for this, they did not make the charging device (though they did select it). I took it out and made use of the pocket for other things.
You can use our Gear Search tool to find the best price on The North Face Kaban Charged or any other gear.
Check out our video review and see for yourself why I am so twitterpated with this bag: