Toad and Co Taj Hemp Pants and Cottonwood Overalls – Brighter Colors, Brighter Moods
Toad and Co Taj Hemp Pants and Cottonwood Overalls – Brighter Colors, Brighter Moods
It’s sweet, sweet summertime, and that means vibrant colors, light & breathable clothing, and a revival to life in the cities & suburbs as patio dining becomes the norm! And with the pandemic taking away the last few summers, more and more people are trying to refill their summer wardrobe. In the market for a few summer staples? Look no further than the Toad&Co Women’s Taj Hemp Pants & Cottonwood Overalls.
Toad and Co Taj Hemp Pants and Cottonwood Overalls review
To kick off the summer, I have been lucky enough to get my first introduction to the Toad&Co. Pivoting slightly from the typical outdoor adventurewear gear reviews, Toad&Co has been helping me feel stylish & comfortable for a night out on the town or a day in the office, all while feeling confident that my clothing continues to be an extension of the brand I want to portray.
The Cottonwood Overalls, in Beetle Vintage Wash (Women’s Small), would be great for cooler nights, early morning coffee walks and can be dressed up or down based on the layering choices. The Women’s Taj Hemp Pants, in Papaya Stripe (Women’s Small), perfect for visits to the local wine bar, the patio dinner or just a visit to the office in the spring & summer months, did not disappoint. Made out of their unique Stretch Hemp materials (better known as linen’s hippie sister), these wide leg, pull on pants keep you cool & dry, making beach days effortless from beach to boards!
Before I share my favorite specs of these Toad&Co staples (ok I get that was a stretch of a pun, but hey, some frogs may be speckled), it would be a disservice if I did not take a moment to share the story behind Toad&Co, and why I will be keeping them top of mind for all of my off-the-trail / out-of-the-gym clothing!
Toad&Co was founded in 1991 from one woman, in a garage, in Telluride, CO. She was making handmade toque hats for her friends. Fast forward to 1998, 100% of their inventory was being processed by the Planet Access Company – a company that employs up to 70 adults with disabilities each year through paid, train-to-work opportunities.
From day one, they set out to support their communities, taking care of the planet and empowering people to live their fullest lives. They believe these partnerships have shaped them for the better, helping them to live well & do good every day. And their motto embodies this vision:
“Good Products are nothing without Good Intentions”
If you’ve followed along on any of my other reviews, you will know that I am all about the story our products tell & strive to show the marriage of my values & the brands values that I represent. And Toad&Co fits all of those and more. Through their key partnerships – like 1% for the Planet, The Conservation Alliance, Brave Trails, Search for Adventure, The Adventure Travel Conservation Fund (just to name a few) – they demonstrate their support & activism for environmental causes, while striving to provide accessibility to the outdoors for those from all walks of life.
So with that, let’s get back to the review. What did I love the most while testing these two pieces out?
- Breathable Stretch Hemp Comfort – Being a remote-worker for the last few years, I am not going to lie – I struggled last week when I had to pack for a trip back east to head into the office. Going back to hot & humid Virginia, I was struggling with how to marry functionality & style. Thank goodness for these pants, because I was able to leverage them for more than a third of my trip. Pairs well with a tucked in oversized t-shirt, while also looks great with a tighter-fitting tank!
- Bright Colors & Conversation Starters – Like many of Toad&Co’s values that we read above, they use bright, vibrant colors to draw attention not only to the clothing itself, but gets the conversation going of “Where can I get a pair?” Naturally, I was then able to use this piece as a way to share about the great community work Toad&Co is doing, which sealed the deal even more for friends to turn into new customers!
- Perfect for Spring & Summer Travel – With an always-on-the-go lifestyle, which more often than not means I am living out of a suitcase (going on day 10 as I write this piece), it is important that my clothing is packable & requires little maintenance (my mom is disappointed I still don’t own an iron!). Because of the hemp material, I was thoroughly impressed at how small these were packed down in my suitcase and how, even after hours of delays and being folded up in a small corner of the bag, I could simply pull them out, give them a quick shake, and throw them on without any wrinkles. Convenience and comfort all in one!
- Color Palette Galore – With five colors to choose from, there is a pair of Cottonwood Overalls for all. And being a sucker for anything green, I was impressed by the “Beetle Wash Vintage” shade.
- Blend of Beauty & Toughness, You Forgot It Wasn’t Athleticwear – The blend of organic cotton & polyester twill fabric, provides durability that allows you to hit the grocery store or the garden, reminding you you may be cute and also can be tough! Because of the straight-fit style, the material was not as stretchy and forgiving as spandex/athletic wear, but they were still comfortable.
The only guidance I would call out for the Cottonwood Overalls is that the material is not as stretchy & form fitting for every body, especially if you are shorter & athletically built like myself. Because of the straight-fit design, these ran tighter through the butt and thighs, leaving a funny fit in the midsection, for us shorter and more muscular individuals. However, they would definitely be great on taller, thinner body types in my opinion, but they have potential!
In short, I am so glad I got to learn more about Toad&Co, and have loved putting their Women’s Taj Hemp Pants to use as the summer months have arrived & look forward to finding the best situations for rocking my Cottonwood Overalls! Happy adventuring!
Growing up in Massachusetts, Devan has been an athlete all her life. Starting at the age of 4 as a competitive gymnast, she learned quickly the joy that comes from hard work, determination, and a jammed packed schedule. Eventually, gymnastics led to competitive lacrosse, which resulted in her growing some wings and going to the PNW to pursue a DI College Lacrosse opportunity at the University of Oregon.
On the single off-day each week, she quickly learned to see Mother Earth as her playground and wanted to use every second of free time to find chase AOTDs (Adventures of the Days). These AOTDs were the inspiration for her blog Dabbling in Traveling & youtube channel.
From waterfalls, to snow covered mountains, to sand dune hikes – one thing was certain, something always went awry on these AOTDs. But hey, memories were always made! Not only was UO an incredible college experience, Oregon sparked her love for the outdoors & traveling across the country for games helped introduce her to Colorado in 2014. Staring up at the Flatirons on CU Boulder’s campus, she knew one day she would call Colorado home!
After returning to the east coast upon graduation, Devan’s heart never stopped longing to live in Colorado one day. But luckily the pandemic brought a newfound acceptance for remote work and in Nov. 2021 her dream came true!
By day, Devan is a Product Manager at Capital One. By afternoon, she is a personal trainer, coaching group Crossfit classes at Axistence Athletics (the best Adventure gym you will ever find!). By evening, she pours her heart into nonprofit work, specifically focused on driving sustainable change in Haiti through the Brace for Impact 46 organization (Fun fact – she has been traveling to Haiti since 2015, accumulating 7 trips and 7 months of living down there!).
Brace for Impact works in Northern Haiti to provide sustainable, multifaceted approaches to support child development, education, medical care, job development, and implementation of clean water & sanitation across the community, which touches 40,000 people each day! (Want to learn more? Check out their website www.braceforimpact46.com )
As her friends would tell you (despite trying) Devan does not slow down and is always trying to fit AOTDs into each open moment. Whether it be hiking, paddleboarding, road-biking, running, Crossfitting, weight-lifting, snowboarding or simply exploring different parts of CO with her favorite furry friend Bailey, it’s safe to say Devan has found her “Home” here in Colorado!
Fun fact – Devan had reconstructive hip surgery in 2016 (actually called a Periacetabular Osteotomy… but that’s a tongue twister), where doctors said she may never run or walk again. After a 22 month recovery period, she proved doctors wrong and uses that motivation to encourage everyone she interacts with to truly treat movement as a gift and to never take it for granted. With that being said, to keep her body active, she needs to make sure her gear can support her so she can remain #PAOStrong!
Devan is excited to join the Engearment team!