Never Summer is a great snowboard company that still produces their boards right here in Colorado. We took the Never Summer Prospector splitboard out for an afternoon tour to see how it handled. Here’s our initial impressions review video:
The Prospector Splitboard incorporates all of Never Summer’s finest tech innovations:
- Carbonium Laminate Technology surrounds the core with carbon fiber for torsional stiffness.
- Extended Tour Rocker Camber Profile (EXTRC) – Flat underfoot is great for riding but also eliminates issues with touring on a rockered board
- Vario Power Grip Sidecut – variable sidecut radii for increased edge hold and quick turn initiation.
- STS Pretensioned Fiberglass – NS adds Elastomer stringers to a pre-hardened fiberglass layer for superior strength and edge hold.
- NS SuperLight Wood Core – A blend of ultralight wood and hardwood stringers.
- RDS 1+ Damping System – Twice the elastomer foil as their RDS 1 system along the entire edge of the board.
- Elastomeric Underfoot Stabilizers – Damp vibrations directly under feet.
- Sintered P-tex Inner and Outer Sidewall – Maintain integrity in any temperature.
- Durasurf XT Sintered 5501 Base – Fastest based NS has ever used with the perfect amount of graphite.
Never Summer incorporates a taper from tip to tail – 2cm regardless of board length – to encourage endless float and a variable sidecut for quick turn-in and control on edge. The EXTRC flat zone puts more of the board in contact with the snow on the way uphill, eliminating some of the issues with skinning on a rockered board.
On the way down, the Prospector ate up choppy snow with ease. All of Never Summer’s damping tech really does work. We really want to add this one to the quiver. In fact, this could replace most of the quiver!
Thanks to BentGate Mountaineeringfor lending us the Prospector.
See also –